From West Cumbria (ref 49)
Exhibition poster from John Rigby’s ‘From West Cumbria’ collection shown at Side Gallery 31 October-13 December 1987. (A2 594mm x 420mm)
The photographs were made between 1983 and 1986 in the small West Cumbrian town of Maryport during the traditional local summer carnivals. From its development in 1769 until about 1900 Maryport harbour, and the town, experienced a thriving export trade of coal, iron ore, and iron products. During the last 60 years, following the decline of the port, the site has stood almost derelict. Despite this the harbour and foreshore has always played host to an itinerant population of fishermen, dog walkers, golfers, horse riders, bikers, coal pickers, beach combers, sailors, travellers, bathers, and children. These are the people who inhabit John Rigby’s pictures, making their various uses of the dock waste land.